Sunday, December 21, 2014

WONDER: End of part 1




WONDER: Part 1 continued

The Scream

In part 1 of Wonder, Auggie unexpectedly wears his "Bleeding Scream" costume instead of the Boba Fete (from Star Wars) disguise he told his classmates he was going to wear. The Bleeding Scream costume originated with an amazing painting called The Scream by Edvard Munch.

The Scream (1)
There are four versions of The Scream. They are very similar and all depict (show) a man screaming. They were drawn in pastel between the years of 1893 and 1910 by Norwegian artist, Edvard Munch.

The inspiration (idea) for the painting came from a walk Munch was taking:

        The sun was setting and “the clouds turned blood red. I sensed a scream passing through        nature”. (From Edvard Munch’s diary, January 22, 1892) 


  • In your notebook (new page, date), write the title: The Scream
  • Google The Scream, Edvard Munch and find out one interesting fact about it. Write the fact down in your notebook, in a complete sentence.
For example: One interesting fact I found out about The Scream by Edvard Munch is that it has been stolen more than three times!

Sentence starter: 
One interesting thing I found out about the painting, The Scream by Edvard Munch is _________________________ .
OR
The Scream by Edvard Munch has a very interesting story. One is interesting fact is that it  _________________ .



  • Write in your notebook the title: I Screamed
  • Write a short 2-3 paragraph about a time you screamed.
For example: A time I screamed really, really loud was when I was five-years-old. It was a hot summer's day and my brother and I were in my garden playing cricket. I felt something on my leg and when I looked down, there was the biggest, scariest looking purple and black beetle with giant fangs crawling up my leg. I jumped, screamed and shook my leg around until the beetle fell off. Then I screamed some more and ran into my house, slamming the back door behind me!

Sentence Starters: There have been a few times recently when I screamed, but the time that made me scream the loudest was ________________________
OR
I consider myself to be someone who is very tough and who rarely gets scared. However, one time ___________________________________ happened and I was so scared I screamed until I lost my voice!

  • The Scream self-portrait! Take a picture of yourself screaming. Cut around the picture and paste it onto a piece of paper. Draw your own background, modeling it on Edvard Munch's painting, The Scream. 

READ TO THE END OF PART 1 (p. 80)
























No comments:

Post a Comment